The way a link to some URL is shown on a web page is central to the social interaction between sites. Simple highlighted words alone will not be sufficient. Readers need more textual information and preview content. In some cases (read: microblogging) this link preview might show all the content of this page.
Here are two examples. First is the output of the Visual Link Preview plugin, second is a Twitter Card.
What content would a perfect link preview need?
- Site owner’s Profile image, website icon or similar
- Site owner’s name
- URL (not sure about this so far as it might get long and ugly, even if truncated)
- Preview text (character limit?)
- Preview image (one of more? A useful simple responsive layout for image(s) of different ratio is tough. Most social sites us some way of cropping, which has lots of downsides.)
- Timestamp (?)
- Number of links aiming at that page
- Number of comments on that page
- Likes (? ☠️)